So you want to find the best way to make money with your car?
How would you like to earn an extra couple hundred dollars this month? You could be using that money for your car payment, groceries, or extra spending money!
Your car is an incredible asset for earning extra cash with the right strategy. Companies will pay you to advertise, you just need to know how to find the right way monetize your car.
Luckily for you, I’m going to show you exactly what you need to do to make money with your car. Some methods will be easier than others, but they are all proven money makers!
This post may contain affiliate links which pays a commission and supports this blog. Thank you for your support!
Put ads on your car
Did you know wrapping your car in advertising is one of the easiest ways to make money with your car?
Advertising companies are looking for people willing to put an ad on their car. They find people with money to advertise and people with cars willing to sell the space. As a result, you earn money by renting your car space and they earn money by matching you with an advertiser.
How much can you get paid to advertise on your car?
You can earn anywhere from $50 to $400 to advertise on your car. Generally speaking, $100 is a good rate to earn from car advertising. Higher dollar advertising is harder to find and be selected for, so don’t get too wound up.Click to Tweet! Please share!Click To Tweet
What companies will pay money for you to wrap your car?
There are a few different companies that actually pay for you to wrap your car in an advertisement. Some of the better companies include:
- Carvertise pays around $100 per month for a car wrap advertisement. Some campaigns pay up to $200 per month. Carvertise allows you the flexibility to say yes or no to specific advertisers, so you can be happy with what’s wrapped on your car. Additionally, some Carvertise campaigns will pay you an extra $30 to park your car at a location for a set amount of time.
- Free car media is another car wrap company that will pay you up to $400 to wrap your car. Most of the advertisements are back window ads which nets you about $50 per month. In addition, you will be required to install the advertisement yourself.
- Wrapify combines technology and advertising to get a fair price for your driving. Get your car wrapped and download the App. Start the App while driving and Wrapify calculates an estimated earnings by how visible your car was during your drive. This means you get paid more for driving down a busy highway than an old dirt road. You can earn anywhere from $84 to $400+ with wrapify, depending on many factors including the size of wrap (e.g. Panel, Partial, or Full wrap).
As you can see, there are plenty of companies that will pay you to drive. Car advertising is pretty close to making money while doing nothing!
The best paid driving Apps
There are several Apps that can double down as a part-time driving job. Delivering for these apps are a great way to make money fast. The key is to find an App that fits your lifestyle and availability the best. You also need to consider how much money you make versus the expenses of gas and auto repair. Let’s take a look at some of the best paying driving Apps.
If you’re looking to be a paid driver for food delivery, UberEATs comes to mind. Someone orders food through the App, you go order it, deliver, and get paid!
According to UberEATs, you get paid for a base fare, trip supplements, promotions, and tips.
- Base fare includes pay for order pickup, drop off, time, and distance. You will always be paid a base fare.
- Trip supplement is added cash to make driving worth your time. Rates and availability will vary.
- Promotions are extra cash you can earn for delivering within a specific area. “Boosted Zones” multiply your base fare. For example, a boosted zone order pays 1.5 x your $4 base fair so you get $6. “Surge Zones” pay you an extra flat rate for delivery. Look for Boosted and Surge zones to increase your earnings.
- Tips are 100% yours to keep!
You can expect to earn around $12 per hour as an UberEATS driver. Obviously, your earnings depend on how quickly you can make deliveries and the number of promotions you collect.
Postmates is another food delivery service like UberEATS, but also with groceries. You’ll get paid differently depending on your city. Find your city to find out more about your potential compensation. This is what earnings look like in a city near me:
Earnings are calculated based on the following:
- An amount for each pick-up order.
- An amount for each drop off.
- A per minute waiting rate to compensate you while picking up the order.
- A per mile fee that covers the distance to the order location and the delivery location.
- Tips are 100% yours to keep!
With Postmates you can expect earnings to be about $9 per hour. According to Ridester, earnings are estimated to be about $9.23 per hour. This is further backed up by The Ride Share Guys experiment where they earned $9.03 per hour after vehicle expenses.
Grubhub is another food delivery service. Earnings are a bit trickier to estimate, but according to Glassdoor, the average wage was $12 per hour.
You are probably looking at $9 per hour once you factor out vehicle expenses. As a driver, Grubhub offers you Delivery Pay + 100 percent of tips. Pay is deposited once per week.
Your Delivery Pay is calculated based on mileage for pick up and drop off, driving and waiting time, and tip. Mileage pay varies depending on your location.
DoorDash is another legitimate food delivery service located in over 4,000 cities. To become a DoorDash driver, you must:
- Be 18 years or older.
- Have a car, scooter, or bicycle.
- Consent to a background check.
- Provide your Social Security Number.
- Have a valid Drivers License.
Like UberEATS, you get paid based on base pay, promotions, and tips. Base pay ranges from $2-10 depending on the distance you must travel. Tips are 100% yours to keep.
Promotions are slightly different. The types of promotions on DoorDash include:
- Peak Pay is given during busy times. If there are more people requesting delivery than drivers, look for peak pay.
- Challenges are new ways to reward active drivers. For example, you might be rewarded extra money for completing a certain number of deliveries in one week. You can read more on challenges.
- Drive earn additional set up and on time pay for Drive orders.
So how much do you really make with DoorDash? According to The Ride Share Guy, he earned $18 per hour in December which was a low paying month. His experience shows that earning $23.49 per hour is possible, before vehicle expenses.Click to Tweet! Please share!Click To Tweet
Instacart is a full service grocery shopping app. People select their groceries online, place an order, and then an Instacart shopper goes grocery shopping. Then, the Instacart shopper brings your groceries to your house.
You can read Organize Yourself Skinny’s complete review.
But how much money can you make as a shopper and delivery driver for Instacart? According to the Huff Post, during slow hours your base pay is around $10 per hour. The company claims you can earn $25 an hour, but most people report earning $20 per hour during busy times and depending on tips.
While grocery delivery is great, have you tried alcohol delivery? Saucey is a food delivery service that specializes in alcohol delivery. Customers love the idea of having alcohol show up at their doors, so it’s an easy sell.
You will need to be at least 21 years old to deliver for Saucey. Additional requirements include having a newer vehicle, phone, clean driving record, and auto insurance. You will be required to check identification on every single order.
The company claims you can make $700 or more per week. However, they don’t specify how many hours it will take you to earn $700.
According to Sidehustl, drivers can expect to earn $7 per delivery. So you can probably expect to earn around $10 per hour.
Shipt is another personal shopper app. Shoppers pick items from their favorite stores and you shop, purchase, and deliver the items.
So what are the requirements to be a personal shopper for Shipt? To shop, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a valid drivers license and auto insurance.
- Have a vehicle that is 1977 or newer.
- Own insulated cooler bags.
- Know how to select produce.
- Be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Have a newish iPhone or Android.
Shipt claims you can earn $16 to $22 per hour as an experienced shopper. You earn money with a $5 per order and a commission of 7.5%. In this case study, one shopper earns about $17.50 per hour with Shipt.
1. Uber and Lyft
According to Gridwise, rideshare drivers earn an average of $15-20 per hour.
Some drivers have even made $1,000 in one weekend! However, most high earning rideshare drivers have a system down that allows them to earn so much.
The biggest thing you can do to earn more is know your market. You want to find the best location with consistent high-paying fares. Think of major events or bars in your area.
People with higher earnings have vehicles large enough to qualify for UberX and UberXL. The more people you can transport the more money you can collect.
Remember, don’t get antsy waiting for a rider. Keep yourself busy without running your car to save on gas and maintenance.
Need tips to increase your Uber income? Check out how to make more money driving for Uber.Click to Tweet! Please share!Click To Tweet
HopSkipDrive is an app aimed at giving kids access to transportation. Some kids may need a ride to school while their parents work. Maybe they need a rude to certain after school programs.
The best part about HopSkipDrive is that you can schedule your rides up to seven days in advance. You have complete flexibility over your schedule.
To become a driver, you must:
- Have five years caregiving experience.
- Be at least 23 years old.
- Have a good driving record.
- Own a 4-door vehicle no more than 10 years old.
- Must submit to a multi-agency background check, including fingerprints.
HopSkipDrive claims you can earn an average of $32 per hour.
Wingz is similar to Uber and Lyft, where you give rides to passengers for a flat rate. This app is primarily targeted towards airport drop off. In order to sign up for Wingz, you must:
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Driving history check.
- Attend disability training.
- Take an online and in-person orientation and knowledge check.
- Be 21 years or older.
- Drive a 4-door vehicle that was made in the last 5 years.
It’s estimated that you can earn around $25 per hour as a driver.
Rent your car
You can rent out your car if you have a spare or just don’t need yours for a little while. Apps like GetAround turn you into your own budget car rentals.
The concept is simple, when you’re not using your car it can be unlocked from the GetAround App. Your vehicle is insured with $1,000,000 auto insurance and 24/7 roadside assistance while your car is being rented.
The downside of renting your car is that you don’t know who’s going to be in your car. Will the person treat your car well? Do you have red light cameras they could run, which you would be responsible for paying. Are they planning on robbing a bank while using your car as the get away vehicle?
These are all very important questions to ask.
GetAround doesn’t say how much you can earn hourly, but they do say you can “earn 1000s per year.” According to Ridesharingdriver.com, you can expect to earn $6-$10 per hour while renting your car on GetAround.
Your car must meet numerous criteria to qualify to rent your vehicle.
HyreCar is an app that allows you to rent out your car to Uber or Lyft drivers. So how does it work?
- Sign up and list your car for rent. Take some cool photos of your car so people can see what they’re renting.
- Drivers request to rent your car. A request lasts for 24 hours and you can either approve or deny the request. Generally, drivers request multiple vehicles so the first approved request wins.
- Insurance documents are generated. You will need to verify all your legal documents such as registration are up to date.
- Meet the driver and hand over the keys.
- Get paid and collect your car.
Your car is backed by HyreCar rideshare insurance. As always, there are risks associated with renting your car and you should consider them before doing so.
So can you make money with HyreCar? One person made $48,000 in one year according to an article on HyreCar’s website.
However, keep in mind this was made by someone who rented their Prius and then purchased four more Prius’s to rent out. This was also located in LA, where there are plenty of people who might be interested in renting a car.
So yes, you can make some good money if you live in a populated area and are not afraid to rent out your car. In this particular case, scaling with more vehicles resulted in a huge income gain!
Turo is similar to HyreCar where you can rent your when you’re not using it. Simply sign up for the app, list your car, set your pricing and wait for a rental to come in. Meet with your guest to hand over the vehicle and earn 65-85% of the trip price.
The amount you get to keep depends on the level of protection you choose to keep for your car. Turo has some pretty good protection plans including up to $1,000,000 of coverage by Liberty Mutual.
The more protection you want on your car, the less money you keep. The key is to find out what protection plan works best for your situation and risk tolerance.
4. RV share
If you own an RV, you could make a lot of money renting your RV out when you aren’t using it. You can set your own rental prices and RV availability with RV share.
All renters are screened by RV share and your RV is covered with rental insurance. You’ll even receive 24/7 roadside assistance. RV share handles all payments and direct deposits income into your bank account.
How to make money driving for Amazon
Amazon Flex allows you to be a delivery driver for Amazon on your own schedule. Once approved, select a block of time to deliver packages. Show up, grab packages and go deliver!
What does it take to be approved for Amazon Flex? You will need to be at least 21 years old, own a qualifying vehicle, and have a driver’s license and insurance.
Your vehicle will need to be a four door mid-sized sedan or larger to deliver for Amazon.com orders. Trucks will need a covered truck bed to qualify.
Amazon claims that most drivers earn $18-25 per hour while delivering through Amazon Flex. However, your actual earnings will depend on a variety of factors including your delivery time and tips received.
Amazon will pay you for delivering packages and pay is generally between $15-19 per hour. If you see a two hour block of time that pays between $36-50, Amazon covers a $36 minimum payment.
Want to learn more? Check out the Amazon Flex frequently asked questions.Click to Tweet! Please share!Click To Tweet
Make money helping people move
If you own a truck and are willing to help people move then you can always post on craigslist or Facebook marketplace. You can set your own rate and help people in the process. If you would rather go through an app, check out 6 ways to get paid to move people.
Get paid to test drive cars
Did you know you can get paid to test drive vehicles? Most vehicle dealerships often have promotions, like a $50 Amazon gift card to test drive a new vehicle. Dealerships offer these promotions to attract potential buyers and sell more cars.
You won’t be able to consistently make money by test driving cars, but you can earn occasional cash. Check out these ways to make cash test driving cars.
Other ways to save or make money with your car
There are plenty of other ways to save or make money with your car. If you’re looking for ideas, start with:
- Asking your insurance agent about safe driving discounts.
- Carpooling with your coworkers to save on vehicle maintenance and gas.
- Contract your driving service with other businesses. Help small business owners by offering a delivery service to expand their business. Examples might include delivering flowers for a local flower shop which doesn’t do deliveries.
Summary: How to make money with your car
As you can see, there are many different ways to make money with your car. A vehicle is a strong asset that can earn you a lot of cash if you know how to make money with your car. You can advertise, deliver food, partner with Amazon, and more!
Making money with your car does come with additional ware and tare and gas expenses. Expenses will need to be factored into your plan regardless of which money making method you choose.
Renting your vehicle out can be one of the more lucrative ways to earn money, but it does come with risks. You are trusting your expensive vehicle in the hands of a stranger. Peer-to-peer car rental apps like Turo, GetAround, and HyreCar make it less risky with additional insurance and roadside assistance.
Delivering with Amazon Flex provides a guaranteed income of $15-19 per hour. You can earn additional tips which can increase your income. The downside is that you will need to find blocks of time in which you can deliver.
RideShare apps like Uber or Lyft generally earn around $15-20 per hour. The trick to rapidly growing your income is to develop a system around your marketplace. Some drivers can earn $1,000 in a weekend. These drivers are experienced, have optimized their driving routines, and know the best drive times.
Food delivery Apps like Grubhub, UberEATS, and Postmates can be a good way to earn extra cash driving. However, Food delivery is probably one of the least likely to earn a significant income.